Friday, December 11, 2009

Guadalupe Peak Hike







Let me just tell you about the hardest physical thing I have ever done in my life! Seriously! So, Tel and I have been doing a lot of hiking since we moved to New Mexico. Since we had some good hikes under our belt, we thought we could tackle the "Guadalupe Peak" hike. It is a strenuous 8 mile hike. It is also the highest point in Texas. 8 miles is not that far and we did the McKintrick Canyon hike that was about that length. So we thought it would be a piece of cake. So on Saturday morning we headed out to the Guadalupe's around 7am. We started out on our hike to immediate switch backs. We looked up the mountain, which was really steep and all we could see were switch backs. After about an hour of hiking, we hadn't even put a dent in the distance we had to go.



On one of our resting breaks we ran into 2 very interesting guys from Canada. They had been on a road trip for the past 40 days touring all the National Parks. They had already been to Hawaii, California, Washington, Wyoming, and some of the other western states. After they finished up in New Mexico they were on their way to the Everglades in Florida. These guys had purchased a 16' motor home for their trip. It sounded like they were having such a great time. Tel and I want to tour the entire US one day.



So we continued hiking. We kept hiking towards a peak, that we assumed was Guadalupe Peak. Once we finally got to that peak, we seen more peaks in the distance. The wind starting picking up. Tel and I wore shorts because all week it had been in the 60s. The higher we hiked, the colder it got. I had my long sleeve shirt on, tel's long sleeve shirt and tel's hoodie, and I was still freezing. Hours later we were still on the incline. I couldn't believe it was taking us so long to hike 8 miles. But there were not flat spots, it was just straight up. When we were in the last stretch to the top, Tel honestly thought I was getting hypothermia. I was being crazy. I know I was being crazy, but I couldn't help it. I was laughing at everything. I was honestly loosing my mind, and I was so cold. When we FINALLY reached the peak, we hurry and took a few pictures and signed the book before we got blown over and then started the trek back down. But we were so happy we got to the Peak.



Now if you want to hear how hard the down hill was, well I don't' have long enough to tell you right now. It was just as straight back down, as it was on the way up. It was such a rocky trail. I swear I rolled my ankles a billion times. But, the whole time we were on this strenuous hike, we were glad to be outside enjoying the New Mexico weather in November. And now we can say we have stood on the highest point in Texas! Whoot Whoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment